Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Wasted Hours

It's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon. Last week was eventful.

I graduated from law school, got a girlfriend, and Vampire Weekend released a new album. I guess you could say a couple different projects culminated all at once. (Also, for anyone tempted to ask me to rank the aforementioned events... no.)

I'm currently living in a small gap in the time space continuum that exists between the end of law school and the beginning of bar prep. Yesterday I dropped my bike off at a shop near the waterfront to have some cosmetic work done and then walked home. I wandered into a store dedicated to "The Sea Sheperd," which is a ship/organization that goes around the world fighting against whaling, inhumane fishing, and such. The lady working there asked me to sign up to set sail for Antarctica to save whales. I once saw a documentary about penguins on Antarctica. They all died. So I didn't sign up.

Later in the day I played ultimate frisbee with some UW dental students and then helped Lindsay study for a quiz. "Helped" is probably a little generous. Mostly I laid in the grass and identified things that flew over my head.

David: Bird.
Lindsay:...
D: Plane.
L:...
D: Cloud.
L: Very good David.

Today I played soccer and made gnocchi with a tomato broth. Yes, you read that correctly.  I've been reduced to perusing food blogs*. I also realized I have no idea what to do with free time.

I think it's easy to start feeling like every second of life needs to be epically adventurous or productive. I need to work on being content with just being. It's a problem I won't have to deal with for long...

"If I could have it back,
All the time that we wasted,
I'd only waste it again...
You know I'd love to waste it again,
Waste it again, and again, and again..."
- The Suburbs (continued), Arcade Fire




*Actually, now that I think about it, a majority of the readership of The Tickle Closet probably enjoys perusing food blogs. So, let me apologize for besmirching the practice. I appreciate the food you occasionally share with me.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the glimpse of a Day in David's shoes:)
    Ahh I feel the same way... pressure to be adventures doing something outstanding.
    Recently I have started to try and master the art of relaxation, its not an easy process but I think I am slowly getting the hang of it.
    Its the simple moments sometimes of not really doing much that can stick with us and be the most enjoyable...like you and lindsey watching clouds.. it wasn't anything extraordinary but it seems like a good memory thats pretty simple. ok i have over exhausted my thoughts on things you probably already know but I just really like this. :)

    ReplyDelete