Monday, April 9, 2012

Hong Kong

People do three things in Hong Kong: work, shop, and eat, and pretty much in that order. The only thing that comes close to how hard people work is how hard people buy. There are seven million residents in Hong Kong and four million shopping malls. That's a slight exaggeration, but this was a serious problem when I first arrived because I have a strong aversion to shopping. Thankfully I spend most of my time at Hong Kong Adventist College, one of the few places where theres' still no designer outlets, and more green plants than 7-Elevens. I wake up before 7:00, with a dorm devotional at 7:20, and finish my day sometime after checking rooms at 11:00. At night, I'm lulled to sleep by the sound of shuffling chairs and dropped pens on the floor above, and the occasional roar of a Ferrari racing down the road behind the dorm.

The Dean sign. This little jobby sits right outside my office on the ground
 floor of the men's dormitory. The color combination strives to evoke positivity.

Some students get funky in the March fog with a frisbee. My parents
brought a 175g Frisbee®Disc from the states last January. It's been
 a big hit in the post-lunch free-time.

'Dim Sum.' It literally means something like 'heart bits.' It's a tradition in China.
A variation of doughs wrapped around sumptuous surprises
and then steamed in a stack of baskets. Kind of like your heart right?

Victoria Harbor and the Hong Kong skyline. When you come to Hong Kong,
this is one of the first places I'll take you. It's one of the top three
 places to get a 'been there' photograph in the city.
Victoria Peak. This is the second place I'll take you. Russ and Debbie Gilbert
got engaged here. Shoot, I got engaged here, to Sandy A Kilowatt Hour of
Limitless Possibility Chiu (her Chinese name is 开玩笑 ). 

1 comment: